Wednesday, July 11, 2007

A Lady Who Wants To Remember Her 'First...'


[Female monologue: Ages 19-25. This monologue has a twist. The actress should be subtle and careful in her physical motions and visual focus. These motions and focus should not betray the monologue's twist, but should indicate that, perhaps, there's something different about this woman. It gives you a chance to show subtlety. Remember as well - she is in a field, so her movements are not constrained by furniture, walls, etc.]

Remember five years ago, when we were fourteen and came to this field for a picnic, Michael? You kissed me here – your first kiss as well as mine.

I will never forget a single moment of that day. I can see this field and every tree, and rock and the beautiful stone wall at the crest of the hill…

I know you’re being kind by coming here with me again. But – I didn’t really ask you here for a picnic.

See -- Michael – I know we will never be ‘lovers’ but I do know we’re best friends and I know we have love for each other.

And you’ve always been a kind and gentle person - oh God - I know I'm blushing -- but, when you smile? Your eyes have always made me feel prettier than I am. ...No really - believe me...I know...

But - but, lemmee finish....you're getting me off track...But I also remember in high school seeing in you the early makings of a real man – and I know that’s what you’ve become. I hear it in voice. I know it by the footfalls of your boots and the way you've held my hands.

Michael - if I live to be a hundred, I'll always be able to remember you like a photograph and your movements like a movie.

I know your slender and strong hands, I know every curve and angle to your face, your arms, your shoulders and legs -- I see your eyes, your smile, and how you laugh…. I can see you in my mind’s eye now as clearly as if we were fourteen again.

So, m' dear – here’s my request – O.K.? And please don’t say ‘no’ right away – please .... please just give it a little ‘think,' first. O.K.? ...O.K...all right then...[sighs]..

I’m -- I am asking if – right here – right now – with no strings attached – would you....would you please make love to me now? Here? Please? Be my first lover - here -- in this field - surrounded by the trees, the rocks, the grass and this place we both know so well? See....I....


[She puts a finger up to her lips in a hushing motion...]

Please... I - just let me finish...sorry...but I - oohh! I knew this would be hard and weird...but -- now I can't look at you and read your emotions anymore... and not being able to 'read' you - ohhh this is nooooottt easy...

Sorry...deeeep breattthhhh....Michael - next month it'll be two years since I went blind, and I gotta tell you - it sucks! I now learn faces crudely – by touch – as if I'm learning the outlines of a mask. It's very strange...but it's like feeling a 'death mask' that's alive. It's weird... People seem to think it's some sort of magic - like bingo! It's like - "Your blind - I bet now you just touch a face and know if someone has freckles. Don't you have extra sensory power or something?"

Well - that's a bunch of crap.

Now, when I meet a man, I have to ‘imagine’ his hands when I touch them -- I have to picture his lips when he speaks -- and then - like some crazy mental recipe - I have to mix the touch of his hands and the sound of his voice so I can guess at the spirit and soul in his eyes that I never, ever - ever will really 'see.'

But Michael – with you, if we make love - I just know it - I know I will not have to guess. I will know. I know your eyes, your hands, and your body. And I know your heart.

I can see us kissing here - in this field - I see us having our first kiss those few years ago.

And I will see you just as clearly today when you - if you - kiss me. I'll see your tongue lightly moisten your lips just before you lean to me. I'll see your glance darting - taking in my hair - I'll see your eyes - lightly dancing back and forth - taking in my eyes one at a time - I'll see you gazing briefly at my lips....

Then - I'll see you look again into my eyes. I'll see your palm as it caresses my cheek...and then you'll give that little glance you give just before you slide your hand behind my head - when you cock your head and watch your thumb caress my ear - yes--- yes - I always noticed that - and then as your hand settles gently on my back, I'll see that graceful ripple of your muscles as your arms fold ...and close.... and press us tight...

[She pauses - lost for several seconds in her reverie. Change of tone away from the intimate to the surroundings.]

I know how the branches in the trees waved four years ago - and how they're waving today. I know the very color of the leaves on the branches above us. I can see the moss on that craggy boulder by the Willow tree - and I know that the weeping strands from the Willows' branch will be that gentle touch we feel as they brush our shoulders.

Michael – you know that corny saying? -- “A woman always remembers her ‘first’?
I want you to be the first man to make love to me, Michael, please? That way – I’ll always be able to see this day with you in this beautiful and familiar field as clearly as if I had seen it with my eyes.

In my future years – if I’m lucky – when I make love with another man – well, there’s no other way to say it – I’ll make love to that man and be reading his emotions by guess and his body by Braille.

So - I would like - [she starts to speak quickly - and more quickly - not able truly to end her 'plea' - afraid of the answer to come] truly, to remember you as my first ‘lover’ on this day in this place I know so well – and I know I want it to be you - a man who I truly.......


[She is suddenly stopped by Michael's unseen hands that are cupping her cheeks. Her head tips up. She places her palms over his hands and caresses the backs of his hands with her fingers.]

Thank you, Michael......thank you...



No comments: